about 'garbage queen does phd'
My project aims to explore the creative process of audiovisual artists who work within the music industry (AAIM), focusing on pieces in which music, lyrics, video and a song persona are amalgamated into one coherent art piece (AVP). In other words, I want to understand the creative process of making highly immersive music videos like Telephone by Lady Gaga or the audiovisual album Lemonade by Beyonce.
As my research is practice based the main focus of the project is the production of three AVPs and gathering documentation of the creative process. I want to challenge the patterns and solutions I observed in existing pieces in a practical environment.
Who AM I? quo vadis garbage queen?
I am a professionally trained musician, songwriter, music business specialist, performer and an audiovisual artist. I am also a researcher and lecturer at Bath Spa University as well as a resident at the The Studio.
Garbage Queen is my stage alias under which I write and perform punk, avant-garde, insanity infused music. She is the Queen of dirt and chaos!
There are a lack of studies investigating methods of the audiovisual artists who exist within music industry (AAIM) . Arnold et al (2017) use the example of David Bowie’s career to highlight how despite researchers agreeing on the importance of visual art in Bowie's repertoire, it has not been analysed in depth. The audiovisual analysis of music video and music performance is a developing area of research.
I chose to focus on AVP as a representation of work created by AAIM. I hope to investigate AAIM's work and their creative process. My project is dedicated to super fans who wish to better understand pieces created by their favourite artists and to the AAIM themselves. By using real life examples and explanations of my own process that is based on the available literature, I hope to create an AVP making guide, that any aspiring artist can use in their creative process.
Where will the money go?
- Hiring a camera crew: £500 per AVP
- If the minimum target is met I will be able to produce one AVP
- If the maximum target is met I will be able to produce all three AVPs
- The practice part of my project (which is what I am gathering funds for) will take place between autumn 2022 and autumn 2023. The final thesis (evaluation of the practice part in a written piece) will be completed in 2024.
- Hiring a camera crew is obviously just the tip of the mountain. I already managed to secure funding from Santander, Sparks and PGR Funding to pay for the session musicians, engineer and studio hire. There are people who believe in this project and put their money into it already! I still need more funds for catering, make-up, props and actors but I hope to secure that through entering more creative competitions.
- You will be able to see the project coming together on Garbage Queen's Instagram and Facebook. Also, for those who are really interested I will send a monthly recap to your e-mail inbox!
- Your name will be included in the Patron/Matron section of my PhD Thesis - That will most definitely make you sound sophisticated and interesting! From now on during social gatherings you could say : 'Oh what have I been up to? Well, I recently sponsored a PhD project'. So fancy!
- You will receive a hand-made 'thank you' card from me. It will be pretty and artsy!
- After I complete my PhD I will send you a digital copy of my Thesis so you can read and see the project coming to a completion!
Help me succeed!
You don't need to give money to help me succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
In fact, share it with everyone you know as I think it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely I am to make this work out brilliantly.
And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but of course I'd love it if you did! Please sponsor the project and help make this happen.|
WATCH THE PROJECT GROW AND ASK QUESTIONS
If you have any questions regarding the project or the fundraising campaign you can e-mail me at email@example.com
You can also observe the project grow on Instagram and Facebook at garbagequeen.music .